Up in the Air, Depending on Prayer

Herein the author begins by first introducing himself; then describing the adventures encountered after writing a book for his children recounting his Vietnam exploits to the decision to make the whole thing available to the general public as an eBook. Future ramblings will hover (pun intended) around his experiences as a helicopter pilot, while extending out to whatever suits his fancy as time goes by.

Name:
Location: Abilene, Kansas, United States

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Yes it’s Happy Thanksgiving to all who read this blog. I have much to be thankful for, including a compassionate Savior, a lovely and supportive wife, and 4 wonderful kids and their families.

The site, http://www.vietnam-air-rescues.com/ has been completely redone (again). David found films of two of my rescues I had forgotten about. Soon they will be up for viewing on the site.

‘Meanwhile, back at the ranch’, as they used to say, my problems with the web page were mounting. Sometimes the page would appear as I wanted, sometimes not. David wanted me to design the page using ftp, but out of Word, not Excel. Mark wanted me to use a commercial web preparation program.

Both would mean essentially starting all over from scratch, which I was reluctant to do. After much agony, I decided to follow David’s advice, primarily because I was (semi) comfortable with ftp by now and I feared learning a web preparation program might consume several weeks before I was ready to tackle my own stuff.

My reservations concerning Word revolved around my previous experience with having extreme difficulty keeping pictures in a particular spot on the page. They just seemed to jump around for no apparent reason and I was unable to bring them back where I wanted them.

So, I gave Word a try. Sure enough, the pictures would not stay in place. Worse yet, I could not get a three column layout to work. I knew there must be a way, but it wasn’t working for me. The solution to this problem, Mark told me, was text boxes.

Aha! Text boxes appeared to work. Now, it seemed, I was in business. So, I began the laborious task of laying out both web pages (Main and Sample) once again, this time in Word. Alas, when I transferred them to the web site, a whole new crop of problems appeared.

Now, in addition to truncated words, my three columns began to jump up to cover the title. Sometimes they would drop back down, often as not, they wouldn’t. I was ready to tear my hair. I wanted to get this project over. I had used up my two weeks estimate and spent a lot of money, but nothing would work reliably.

And, the program had grown. In addition to the ‘Main’ and ‘Sample’ pages, I now had ‘Tell a Friend’, ‘Unlock’ and ‘Gift’ pages. Worse yet, the ‘Gift’ page ran to four pages itself. It soon became apparent that I had overused the text box idea, so I went back and eliminated text boxes from all pages except the ‘Main’ page, which needed them to keep the columns straight.
All through this, David and Mark keep me going with ideas and corrections which vastly improved the looks of the whole thing.

More to come. See you at http://www.vietnam-air-rescues.com/

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home