Up in the Air, Depending on Prayer

Herein the author begins by first introducing himself; then describing the adventures encountered after writing a book for his children recounting his Vietnam exploits to the decision to make the whole thing available to the general public as an eBook. Future ramblings will hover (pun intended) around his experiences as a helicopter pilot, while extending out to whatever suits his fancy as time goes by.

Name:
Location: Abilene, Kansas, United States

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Site Strikes Back

Here I am back after a short layoff.

The reason I decided to resurrect the old main page is that I have gotten the idea of adding a hyperlink after each quote, so that viewers can see a little more about what is being referenced.

Problems, problems, problems, but I now know how to do those hyperlinks. I think it makes for a more interesting website. Go to www.vietnam-air-rescues.com and see what you think.

As I am in the middle of revamping everything, David has come up with a terrific idea. I returned from Vietnam with two reels of combat film from my rescues. I had them dubbed on VCR and gave each of the boys a copy. In the ensuing years and the move to Abilene, I lost my copy along with the originals, but David, bless his heart, kept his.

His idea is to convert the VCR to digital format so they can be viewed on the website. What a neat idea! Also, to make things better, he will do the converting for me. What a kid!

As much as I want to fix the film (may add a narration to it; have to adjust the brightness), I am stuck playing nursemaid to these doggone tables and pictures that seem to have a mind of their own.

New suggestion by David—add the quotes to the hyperlinked pages so people remember what they were. A good idea. Now I have to do all the pages again. But, ignore my whining; things are looking whole lot better.

I have decided to add a sample page, table of contents and tell a friend jump link. (so those who are willing to recommend friends can get there without having to plow through several pages.)
Craig’s friend now says he sent the comment to this blog. I can’t find it. Would like to, though. Be nice to have another one to add to the page.

Another friend of mine, says he can’t get the website to load, and wants to borrow the actual book. Don’t know what the problem is, counter says about 500 others have found it OK. So I loaned him the book. He says he will write out a comment for me. Sure hope so.

That 500 number is somewhat misleading, I am sure. I submitted the site to Google and their web crawlers are supposedly checking the site out. Also, I probably accounted for at least 300 (or more) of the visits.

More problems getting the hyperlinks to work. Every time I redo a page, a new problem crops up. Biggest one right now is that the Main Page is rejecting some of the pics. Have to look into that.

I am playing with the film. First step is to separate the two rescues. Originally, they were on two different 16mm reels. I had them converted to VCR, but in the process, they were merged. So, now I have to separate them.

More later,

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home