Up in the Air, Depending on Prayer

Herein the author begins by first introducing himself; then describing the adventures encountered after writing a book for his children recounting his Vietnam exploits to the decision to make the whole thing available to the general public as an eBook. Future ramblings will hover (pun intended) around his experiences as a helicopter pilot, while extending out to whatever suits his fancy as time goes by.

Name:
Location: Abilene, Kansas, United States

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Almost Caught Up

Next problem is what to edit out. The film for rescue #3 can be used mostly intact, but the #8 film has several long sequences of high altitude shots, which were included because it was originally a Commander’s Briefing film on the progress on the Kenny Fields rescue (Rescue #9). I will edit out the title and ending shots, plus the high altitude sequence, which is hard to see and relates to Rescue #9 while the rest of the film is for Rescue #8.

I am also having second thoughts about adding narrative and brightening up the film. Right now I think the film is interesting enough to stand alone, without narrative. I tried brightening up the film (being shot in 1968, and looking out at a bright landscape, much of the interior shots are very dark), but only succeeded in over brightening the portions that are OK.

Of course, if I really knew what I was doing, I could fix that little problem. My solution, at least for now, is to leave the thing alone.

David has expressed his disappointment that I am thinking of posting the film without narrative. Will have to consider that. I would like to just get it up. I can always add narrative later.

Many people have commented on the newspaper article—even got a sale from it. Of course, the newspaper article is courtesy of Kenny Fields, who contacted the newspaper with the idea. Still have not received comments or recommendations from either George Marret or Kenny Fields.

What a disappointment. I had counted on them to liven up the comments page (quotes from published authors) and perhaps get the site into a new ring of people through recommendations. Kenny said he was busy, would get to it later; George was leaving on a trip, would get to it later. Disappointing not to get anything back from them.

Actually, very few people have started the viral ‘tell a friend’ process. It will obviously take longer than I had anticipated to see any results from that.

Norris Marshall (ex-Army Heli Pilot, the one who couldn’t log onto the site), has read the hard copy of the book and given a comment to post. Thanks, Norris. That gives me four to date—Barbara, Clarence, Charles and Norris. Would be nice to have more, but they are slow in coming.

Lots of subtle changes made to the site here and there. Still don’t have the film up. Mark thinks I should drop the film links since they lead to nothing but a note that I will get the film up ASAP. He is probably right. He also pointed out some linkage errors and a better means of explaining the contest. All good ideas and implemented.

More to come...

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home